Monday, March 21, 2016

Turning 36

I have mixed feelings about this birthday, as I turn 3-6. Yes, age is just a number and I know I have heaps to be thankful for, so while I take more time to gather my thoughts (not just about turning another year older, but the direction and challenges that are already presented to me this year, and in anticipation of what more is upcoming, it's a year of trials, learning and character development - especially in the areas of patience, and to be present)... here's a recap of how I spent my birthday on 18 March 2016.
 
My day started out early and dark. I had wanted to clock a run to start the day right, and I did.
 
Wearing my new top!
 
I've become pretty good at listening to my body, and making my exercise plans materialise, just by being dilligent in actively planning what I want to do for the day (still toggling between yoga, HIIT and running), and being disciplined to do them. It's not difficult, since my body has been in rhythm for the past few years, though my recent struggles have been to push myself to bed earlier so that waking up isn't as difficult.

A slow, leisure run to start the day right

My pace for running has dropped. I seem to have lost the speed and motivation to move quicker, though I still have the desire to keep running. The distance I accomplish are also comfortable within 5-6km and I have little time/motivation to go further. I think it's a phase I'm going through, where I view running as a form of outlet my body needs/wants (yes, I do crave to run) and there is no need for me to push myself as there is no 'goal' I am trying to hit (no trainings for any long-distance runs). I'm happy though, as I'm listening to my body and still clocking some movement.

Then, I prepared for work and a little buddy accompanied me, working up a sweat while at it.

WHEEEEEEE

My work day was relatively uneventful - no crisis, which is great, and through the day, I received greetings from well-wishers and I felt very thankful to be remembered by my friends and colleagues. I got e-greetings, about 150 wishes from Facebook, and text messages from my friends around the world - and it was amazing.


Feeling blessed
 
Jap lunch treat from this team, and a chocolate cake to top it off
 
I ended work not too late and managed to fit in a leisurely happy hour beer with some colleagues. Then, dinner (that I chose, and booked for myself. I had to book it under the husband's name because I wanted to put in a 'birthday request' for his wife).
 
We enjoyed a sumptuous dinner of clam/mussel soup, beef cheek, seabass and pizza at Etna. I tried it some months back and had wanted to share the place with the family, so glad that I did. To finish off the night, we received a sweet treat, which was announced to me by the children "it's a secret I cannot tell you!" for the early part, to J asking outright "where is the birthday cake!" after it took a little too long to arrive, for his liking. Ah, kids and their blatant honesty. Love it.
 
Happy birthday Mommy

Jake's rendition of our family. He started writing his name first, then asked how to spell
"LOVE" then "FROM" - except he heard "S" instead of "F".
"LOVE SROM JJAKE" 

Us.
 
An even better version of us - too funny not to share!
Post dinner, we strolled around the hood a little before heading to the car. I was stuffed.

They were looping about on the little tree strumps, for giggles. Made me laugh.
 
We headed home, still stuffed, and I was close to knocking out for the night... and the very secretive kids then declared, "MOMMY WE HAVE ANOTHER SURPRISE FOR YOU"
 
Another cake on my birthday to end the day

Everyone was too stuffed to eat the cake by this time (except for the bits of chocolate the kids picked at) but I do appreciate the thought. I have a thing that cake is a must on birthdays, and I know the husband - if nothing at all - will try to fulfill this.

It was a simple day, but I give thanks for every bit of love that came my way. Turning 3-6? Always fine as I am supported by the love from my family and friends all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment