Thursday, March 10, 2016

Jake the sick

You know how I was lamenting about what a rough week it had been last week? It'e because instead of actually going off on what I labelled part 4 of Jake's birthday celebrations, which was a holiday to Hong Kong, it turned out to be us staying out of home for 3 nights, for a very different reason.
 
It all started with a temperature  (as it typically does) on Sunday. We did what we usually do - see the doc to get meds (Monday) monitor the temperature, administer medication as needed (paracetamol for regular fever and brufen for anything higher than 39.5degrees) with no panic. I held the sister off from checking in for us on Tuesday, the eve of our intended holiday as his temperature was still not going down, and just as well that we did that, because his fever did persist. J's body temperature typically goes pretty high (based on past ill patterns) so while we were concerned, there didn't seem a need to worry - yet. On Tuesday evening last week, the husband made a call that we should bring J to the doctor again because despite the medication, fever did not abate.
  
Snoozing - it was late, he was so tired and burning

At the slightly crowded clinic, the doctor assessed him and because of the persistent fever, recommended that we admit him for further tests. Unfortunately, Thomson Medical Clinic did not have any beds available in the padaetric wards. He suggested that we head to the nearest hospital - and after spending 2+hours there, we headed to Mount Alvernia with the letter from this first doctor.
 
The A&E department at Mount A was even busier than Thomson Medical and I was so bummed out. I had to awaken the boy up several occasions because we were on the move and I felt so tired for him. Thankfully, a kind nurse saw me trying to make him comfortable on the chairs in the waiting room (expected waiting time was 1-2 hours), directed me to a room that had a bed.
 
Still waiting - snoozing at the room a kind nurse got us

Very fortunately too, there was a padaetric doctor who was already at the hospital reviewing another case, and so our wait got bumped up speedily as this doctor attended to us after she was done. After waiting a while more, we were directed to a room and the husband accompied the boy while I proceeded to settle the admission administrations. Can I just say that the administration is such a pain. It took me 3/4 of an hour to sit there, and try not to fall asleep to pay attention as the administrator laboured over the details of ward prices, medicine prices, prices not inclusive of a-b-cs, and after signing 3,847 forms, I was done. By then, I was entering a zombie zone because I had awakened at 5am like any regular school day, and after a full day of work and going home to try to pack for our intended holiday, to bringing the son to not one, but two hospitals (it could have been worse I guess. We could have had to visit a 3rd hospital if this hospital was full too, I guess) to have our child taken care of... I had officially been awake for 18 hours.

Finally asleep in his bed for the night

Despite being dog tired, I was hungry so when the husband suggested we grab a bite, I agreed. After a quick supper and sending him back to the hospital then driving myself home and after taking a very quick shower, I laid down at 3am. I had been awake for 22 hours in total.

The thing about having one child in hospital, when you have two children, is that one child is leading a regular routine... so at 5.30am which is 2 hours after I knocked out, the daughter was up to go to school. I'm so thankful that the MIL was over last week, because she pretty much kept the girl on her routine as normally as possible as the husband and I partnered each other to look after the boy.

I awoke properly - with a start - at 9am, with the sun in my face. I had a quick breakfast (coffee), and headed to the hospital.

Received this pic from the husband as I was making my way to the hospital

The husband had an uncomfortable night with the boy. In the double-bedder ward, he had a creaky reclining chair to sleep in, throw in the nurses who come in every few hours to take temperatures/observe the patients, and the other patient in the ward - let's just say he's had better sleep in alternative spaces. Thankfully, we had already put in our request to switch wards if any single ones became available and our prayers were answered when we were told we could switch rooms.
 
J looked in good spirits, if not slightly puffy-eyed. He was still running a fever. Thankfully, he still had some appetite and I fed him the lunch provided by the hospital and then shifted rooms after he had his meal.

First meal @ the hospital

New ward
 
Thank goodness that the single ward had become available! The space, the privacy, the comfort (within reasonable limits of a hospital) was an amazing difference and truly made the stay way better.
 
Though we had a new sofa, he was still bored.
 
Treat of phone use
 
KO

After napping (where I crashed too), we all awoke to feeling slightly rested. The boy had a shower and we willed the time away by drawing and talking and whatnots and we all cheered when the husband came back to relieve the night duty. Being cooped up with one person is pretty trying.

I went home quite early this second night, and was in bed by midnight.

Breakfast: day 3

The husband left to go on an errand while I stayed with J. We went for a walk.


Wall of pride - see the paper pegged to the bottom right corner? That's his!

Happy with a balloon that I got to humour him

Cookie monster

We played snakes and ladders

Because I'd be out till late that night (the husband had class), I decided to pick the girl and spend some time with her. Also, we thought it'd be nice of her to visit because J had been out of home for 2 whole days by then and wasn't to be discharged that day.
 
Visitor - having lunch
 
Life goes on
 
After K cleared her homework, the husband took her home and I was left with the boy. Thankfully, he was tired and we both managed to snooze. 
 

Rest makes him better!

 
We had dinner (we had gotten used to the hospital spread by then) and the TV programmes (bleagh. With no cable, OKTO was his favourite channel) and I was thankful for some reprieve when Godpa visited to play with him.
 
Evening visitor

After Godpa left, the husband arrived. We put J to sleep then headed out for supper again. Imagine that, twice in 2 days! The odd connection about this particular supper place (Founders Bak Kut Teh at Balestier Road) is that the husband and I had gone there for a meal when I was in labour. J was in my tummy and we'd done a pit-stop that was near to the hospital of delivery. How odd the connection that this time round, also in the night time, that we were out because of J and yet, this time he was "not there" either.

Anyhow, after the meal, I sent the husband back to J and headed home.

For the 3rd morning in a row, I awoke with the sun shining into my face. It's really an anomoly because I hate sleeping in the light and for the sun to be up for hours and shining into my face and for me to continue sleeping... I was tired!

After breakfast and some chats with the MIL, I made my way to the hospital. On the way, I received the best news from the husband - J could be discharged! I did not even have to park - merely picked them up from the pick-up point and headed home.

Yay we get to go home!
That afternoon, everyone was home. I went to pick K from school and had lunch with her then sent the MIL home. The husband was home and it felt so nice to be normal. After 3 nights out, it sure felt nice that the whole family was together again. The doctor agreed to discharge him on the account that he no longer had fever. The damn fever lasted for a whole week.

So that ended our 4D/3N escapade to the hospital with our sick child. Truly, it wasn't the same sort of bonding time I had in mind when I wanted to spend time with him when I booked our holiday, but let's not lament on what flavoured milk had been spilt. Instead, here are 3 things I'm thankful for, to finish this off on a nice note.

1) I'm thankful that he has recovered from the flu and that the sister had caught just a bit of the cough but otherwise, is fine. Hooray.

2) I'm thankful of the partnership between the husband and I - we worked well together. A by-product is that we both had time to be with each other, a rarity given the busy schedule of the husband (I may be busy but I'm busy around the office or the home or the children's activities - I'm busy around perimeters). Thank you to the husband for our amazing partnership. We were so attuned to each other by the end of these days together that we started parroting each other on several occasions after!

3) I'm thankful for the time with my boy
True, it's not the same as Disneyland, but it was still precious time to not be at work and to be by the side of my baby. Sometimes, it's tough to find time as life gets in the way so I'm thankful for the time that we spent together. It was, sometimes, at the expense of time with my girl, but it is situational and I'm not going to beat myself up over that. In an ideal world, I'll love to be able to have one-to-one time with each child, as dedicating attention to one and receiving the full attention is amazing.

And so, with these thanks, I end this post that this damn viral fever be gone!

1 comment: