Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Meeting the Queen, Madonna

About 4 years ago, I drafted up a bucket list. The bucket list has since shrank - one of them things I did (cut my hair pixie short), one of them I deleted (no, I think I do not want to run a marathon, afterall. No thank you). One of the items on this list reads "Watch Madonna live".
 
Some months back, I already heard of Madonna coming to Singapore. I pretty much decided that I had to watch her. Besides ticking off the bucket list, I do think that she is one of the best entertainers in history, ever! True, I do not know all her songs; true, I do not listen to her very much especially in recent years; true, I probably have a very dated vision of her in my mind (favourites of all times include American Pie, Rain... which are all kinda many years ago). But! She is still the Queen and I remember watching her as a femme fatale through the years... and to know that at 57 (FIFTY SEVEN!) she can still groove the way she does... honestly I don't even need to justify why I paid $688 (this is excluding tax!) to watch Madonna live. Simply, because I wanted to.
 
Come concert day, I was actually too busy (and tired) to get too excited. I tried to nap for a burst of energy but was unsuccessful. The good thing, however, was that through the night, I managed to hang out and catch up with 3 different sets of friends - I was the official third wheel all night long!
 
First, I met an ex-schoolmate with his wife. They came to pick me up and we had a light dinner and drinks, standing at a bar counter. At 630pm, when the skies were still bright, I'd thought we were still early for an 8pm concert (which wouldn't start punctually anyway). But oh boy. The restaurants were crowded, the tables were packed, the buzz was energetic and so we had to make do with a corner of the bar counter. Light bites and 1 pint later, I bade farewell to Bryan and Lili and made my way to meet the double-Ms.
 
Walking to the National Stadium, it was electrifying! People were streaming in and there were all sorts! I belonged in the regular type, then there were all our gay sisters who were strutting around proudly, and there were also those who totally dressed up in fishnet stockings and whatnots - loved it!
 
After getting a drink, we headed to locate our seats.
 
Rebel Heart, baby!
 
No, our seats were not that close. We'd just done a trot to take a very nice picture stage-front. Heh. Our seats were more to the side, but still very close. At 9pm, the concert started. By then, I was on my feet and the very moment I saw Madonna I was screaaaammminnngggggg. It was very exciting!
 

With Lili, Mike and Bryan
The only pic I took of the stage that night
 
I didn't take any videos, or more pictures, because I wanted to watch the concert. I was standing on the chair for 3/4 of the concert, because I couldn't see properly and no one comes to Madonna to sit down anyway!
 
I sang along to what I knew, especially the few times she launched into the retro songs, but otherwise, I was thrilled to just know that she was within 30metres of me. Madonna, live, in front of me. True, I had to look at the screens to be able to see her properly, but hey. It's a concert - not a dinner date.
 
On a high right after the lights came on

I bade farewell to Marilyn, and hitched a ride home with Cherie. On the way to the carpark, we bumped into a series of fun people!

Not because there was a policewoman. Not because there was a drag.
But because the nun is pregnant. Ha!

That man with the studded banana, is our Singaporean Unapologetic Bitch!
 
So this man, did us Singaporeans so proud! From the audience, one person gets picked up to groove with Madonna and receive this award of the Unapologetic Bitch (in line with her song as titled) and this sister did so good! He sashayed, he danced, he twerked, he split and was wearing the most outrageously appropriate concert wear - he was wearing a Madonna tee, hot pants and thigh-high heeled-boots. Haha love it! (I think if you try googling you can probably find his video somewhere.I'm not bothering because I have it in my head and I love it!) We were all thrilled to see him and take this wefie with him. Oh, the fun.

It then took us another hour before we made our way out from the carpark (there must have been technical issues or something) and in the car, my friends and I made a play out of singing KTV and random topics of nothing at all...

I arrived home past midnight - way past my regular bedtime on a school night.. I was buzzing still from the alcohol I had consumed (5 beers - that's a nice limit) and it was nice to see the husband awake so I wasn't alone then.

I heard/read mixed reviews of the show, from a variety of people. Sure, some of them were probably valid due to the poor sound acoustics (said a colleague who sat at the back), or some others who felt she had compromised her integrity and whatnots. To me, it's truly an experience and while concerts can be a pain sometimes (the logistics, the expensive tickets...) but at the end of the way, it's the experience and it's what you make of it. To Madonna I went, I had a great time and so, it was amazing!! I'll never ever watch her live again (truly doubt another chance will present itself) so I am one happy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment