Monday, March 28, 2016

Love language - quality time

After our "very" romantic message exchange, the husband and I did manage to find some time to spend with each other, on our wedding anniversary. It took place after a long day of (1) having the children taken care of thanks to favourite nainai, (2) us clearing our work after 12 hours from 8am to 8pm (3) an impromptu conversation exchange between him and I at 855pm to arrange for a time and place to meet...
 
I was early. I spent about 30 minutes cruising around the mall aimlessly, to decompress. It had been a long day and I was trying to snap out of work mode. I was tired of milling around after a bit, and headed to our agreed destination... and managed to stroll around for a bit of reminescence. Our meeting place was Emerald Hill, a row of shophouses that had been standing there for as long as I can remember, serving alcohol and their famous chicken wings.
 
Why this place? When the husband and I first met in 1995, we were younglings in high school. When the husband and I were slightly older younglings (about 2001), with disposable cash at the 'ripe age for drinking', Emerald Hill was one of the spots where we would meet to have drinks and hang out. Not very often, but we did. I believe it was also one of the first places we met on an unofficial 'date' during those initial years (the other was Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in the now-torndown building "The Promenade"). Emerald Hill is also the same place where I climbed daily to go to school for 2 years, and being there that night felt highly nostalgic. I was trying to immerse in the feel of memories...
 
Surprisingly, or not, the pubs were still popular and crowded with people. I opted to head to a nearby option rather than our regular old pub specifically, for practical reasons. I just wanted to sit down and have a quiet drink and I did. By the time the husband turned up, I was somewhat relaxed, had some wine and the chicken wings were on its way.
  
A book and a glass of wine. Bliss.
 
I think the night was very nice. I was thankful that the kids were well taken care of, and that I had time to myself. We spent the night talking, and after having had time to reflect upon this time spent together, I am reminded that a common love language of the husband and I have is 'quality time'. Given that it is a scarcity, or it's not as easily available for us, makes any time together more precious. The things we spoke of, were also more real, given that our life stage is obviously different - not just as individuals, but of us together, as a couple. Sometimes, you want to pull out all the stops to have a party, or sometimes, it's these private moments that mean more.
 
Happy Anniversary, Babe. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment