Monday, April 25, 2011

Dear Kate

Dear Kate,

It's been many months since Mommy wrote to you, and I'm suddenly inspired to do so. You have really grown so much and so fast that even being away for one short week, Papa can tell that there are differences in you - whether it's physical or behavioural.

You are a rather naughty one now, at 19.5months old. You throw tantrums when you don't get your way, you cry and insist that you get what you want. Your poor grand-mama is bullied by you daily, as she cannot tolerate you crying. She uses the soft approach where she'll "negotiate" with you; whether it's to give you only a very small piece of biscuit, or allow you a bit of what you want (a short while on the TV, for example). Your papa has his moods, where he may give in to you, though he's got his moments where it's rather clear that he'll not entertain your tantrums - the more you cry, the more you can forget about having what you want. I, on the other hand, like to think that I straddle the extremes.

Sometimes, I think that you are in the mood to absorb and listen (actually, I need to be in the mood too) and I will explain to you rationales. I think you do understand so it's important to impart you the theories rather than saying "no!" or being too harsh with you always. On the other hand, I think that you do push the limits too much sometimes and if you catch me in a lousy mood, I have no qualms about giving you a hard smack on your hand. I think you are a spunky child, sometimes too much so, and I do think that you need to be smacked for you to learn a lesson. Especially at moments where you insist on doing what we say not to, and you repeat your foolish ways over. Those are very trying times! But Papa and I are consistent that you need to be disciplined so you can forget about being a bad kid. We will not allow it!

Generally, I accept that your behaviour is fair and you are being a normal growing child, exploring your boundaries and testing your parents; giving us plenty of opportunities to hone our patience and parenting skills. It's a challenge balancing between doing what's right and what's easy (whipping out the iPhone instantly to appease you takes seconds) but do we really want to always bribe you like that?)

You are a chatty little monkey and it's terribly amusing hearing you jibble and gabble all day. Only us, who are closer to you, can interpret what you say. Others probably catch only 50% of it all! You probably take after me - talkative - like that. You can identify many objects and people and say them accurately. You can piece sentences and desires together - I want to eat; Papa see Kate; Mama come eat; Yiyi bubble; Happy birthday (to) you/Mama/(person)... you can also sing songs! I always feel very happy hearing you go on and on. I also love to talk to you. It amazes me to no end that you can respond accordingly - yes/no/ yao/ bu yao... we can communicate and have a pretty decent conversation really, very impressive.

Your movements are still slightly clumsy, I reckon. You can run and walk and climb all over, but you still trip over things/sometimes nothing when you're just moving too quickly. Is this a sign that you're like me? O dearie me. Preferably not please, your Papa is much more nimble!

Watch me run! Who says I'm clumsy?!

You love to play - we can bring you out on picnics, to the park and you enjoy it so much. Every outing is special because we view things differently and we make the effort to make things exciting so that we all enjoy new experiences together!

Everyone loves happy outings! Family of females at Loewen Gardens on that wet Saturday

You 'wow' at things that fascinate you, you listen intently when we point out new things to you. You ask for things that amuse you - such as Barney in the car, insisting that we make it dance to entertain you. You love big empty spaces where you get to run around freely and madly as kids love to. You also love water - you got a little sunburnt from the picnic we had last weekend, but I'm positive that you enjoyed yourself as you were surrounded by your loved ones and the activities outdoors were nothing but fun for kids.

Family picnic @ Marina Barrage

Water play

You also love occasions, especially birthdays! You like to sing the song "Happy birthday", though the way you pronounce it doesn't make sense to any stranger (daji-daji) - haha it's terribly funny.

Happy birthday, Grandma!

You go to sleep slightly later now, a little too late for my liking. Depending on your mood, you take forever, or not, to fall asleep. You ask for "Mama, pat" if I stop thinking that you've fallen asleep. You request for songs "Barney", "Star", "See-Saw" are the top 3 hits in Kate's favorite play list. You take up a lot of the bed, and Papa and I are trying to work out if it's still/ever possible for us 3 to co-share one bed.

You eat well still, and your favorite food is definitely snacks. Biscuits, fruits, raisins - name it, you love it. You still eat the mushy porridge that is lovingly prepared for you daily, so that's no issue. It's also so much more convenient to bring you out now since you can share our food. I try to order healthier options like fish or soupy stuff so that you can eat those. Papa and I are a lot more relaxed with your diet now - allowing you treats like fries, you tiao, and practically everything in small bits as long as it's not overly salty/sweet. You are quite an adventurous foodie and I love how you are fuss-free in this category.

My foodie baby

You are an affectionate child and are usually generous with hugs and kisses. I love how you always call out "Mama" - though sometimes only upon request - and it is the most precious feeling in the world, knowing that the word is reserved especially for me.

Precious kisses

It's a different phase of you being a toddler now and it's very fun and exciting since you're growing and moulding into a mini person that you are. I hope that I'll always be a good role model to you, as I want you to turn out the best you can be. Papa and I are exploring childcare options for you now, so that you can learn more in a good and right environment. It is a difficult decision for us since we have to leave you in the hands of strangers, people that we are unassociated and unfamiliar with entirely, but it is a step that we have to take for our benefits.

Thank you for being such a lovely child, for being so loving, for being this cheeky and for being the best thing that's happened to my life.

I love you my darling Kate.

Love, Mama

1 comment:

  1. aww. i love the pic of kate n your mom.. she looks just like u

    ReplyDelete