Friday, October 18, 2013

Japan, final day. Back to Singapore.

We awoke really early again on this day. Our flight was at 11am and we needed to catch the bus from Shinjuku bus station to Narita Airport. It was a bit of a task because Kate was still unwell and had done a fair bit of vomitting the night before, Jake was still a borderline diarrhea case... and after checking out, ensuring that Kate had some porridge in her empty tummy, securing two cabs that brought us to the bus station, we were in time for the second-last Airport Limousine Bus. It was pretty hectic and to catch that second-last bus was a relief. (No contingency if we missed the bus. Probably go broke taking a cab TWO cabs to Narita!)


My Japanese-looking kawai boy - puffy eyes, but dressed to work it. 

Us on the hour+ ride to Narita. He was a monster on the entire ride! He was tired but couldn't go down and kept fussing and crying and crying... it was trying for him and everyone on-board. I was one of those parents who could not control my kid *sad face

Upon arrival at Narita, we checked in (you know, this sounds so easy but really it wasn't as easy as it sounded. Not with a ton of luggages, insufficient sleep, two cranky and sick kids - zomg), grabbed a quick meal, bought some last minute goodies from duty free and headed for our flight.


EH-PANE! 

Gangway to claustrophobia 

Sick K - but still such a sweetheart. The experience of being on a plane excited her enough that she was distracted enough to consume a bit of food, watch kiddy TV (she managed Hi5 & Dora) and snooze.

Jake was quite a handful because he was so tired and he fell asleep quite quickly after take-off. The flight back was more manageable - I remember because I managed to watch a movie! 

Wasn't too long that we landed and Kate was attracted by some colouring activity display; so the mother and I took the opportunity to do some last-minute duty-free shopping (again). 


Father-daughter bonding

After grabbing some alcohol from duty-free, we headed home. The air was warm and murky after cool and chilly Japan. We were truly home.

Some final thoughts about our holiday,
  • I'm so thankful for the opportunity to travel with my family. To expose the kids to new things, to Disneyland - I'm sure Kate will remember this for ages. & Jake now has a new friend Kiki Maus (Mickey Mouse).
  • I'm glad to have the husband around during the holiday. While we may not have had too much time to relax together, the little window opportunities were exceptional (date night in Shinjuku! Rare experience at Tsukiji!); plus before the holiday, he had been sooooo busy with his life that we had barely had time to be with each other. 
  • I'm most thankful that I had the opportunity to travel with my Mother. When we were kids, my parents were very generous to bring us on many holidays. They really made an impression on me because I remember the fun times with the family.  It was always such a treat to go to Disneyland, or anywhere for that matter; as a family, we'd done our fair share of travels to USA, Australia, China, Japan, New Zealand – my siblings and I are very fortunate. Of course, all I did was enjoy then (such fortunate kids we were!) and today, I really understand the true impact (financial/physical/emotional) of planning a holiday with kids and I'm so grateful my parents pampered us so much before. 
  • I know the Mother probably didn't enjoy herself as relaxed as she possibly could, because we were tied to the kids and their needs; but I felt happy bringing her on a holiday and truly, the time spent is something so invaluable, I hope she did enjoy herself in some ways too.
  • It was so cute watching the kids enjoy themselves. The fact that I was with them 24/7 made it very tiring, for sure, but also nice. I guess there's a level of expectation set that with kids, it would be about them. So on one hand, while I wished I could eat more, shop more, sleep more, do more – it was also fun & endearing watching them have a good time.  
  • To witness what a big and independent girl Kate is – while she can act very needy (not wanting to do anything because she's lazy), it's also amazing watching her express her views. Like when she picked her own souvenir at Disney, or when she was living her dream when she put on the princess dress!
  • To watch Jake in his growth spurt (gawd, I swear he talked a lot more over the days in Japan – which may be true. Cos he was with us all day and we were talking to one another/him non-stop so he could be absorbing it all) and watch his antics. And his amazement at Mickey is also more endearing because it is all REALLY new to him. 
  • When I'm back to my daily grind, walking along the roads of Singapore, I thought back to the cool winds in Japan when we were walking along Shinjuku. I missed being with the kids, and the husband and the mom doing nothing much at all all day. Not having any agenda, just going here or there or anywhere. 
  • Through my time writing these entries, reliving the holiday in my head, going through the pictures, it was rather fun after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment