Thursday, October 10, 2013

The day we left on the last day of September

Techincally, I was off work the Friday night I stepped out from the office. The dinner was uneventful. The Mother joined the kids and I for dinner at a hawker centre round the corner from my office; and I basically slothed the night away. That night, I did exactly what I felt like - which was nothing at all.

Saturday was another lazy day with me bringing K for swim class, then we had dinner with the Mom. Sunday was also uneventful, except for the trip to town to meet with my friend. All through the weekend I knew, at the back of my head, that I should start packing for our trip but really, I just stuck to doing nothing at all.

Monday rolled along and I finally got off my ass to pack - near lunch time. And this is a pictorial capture of how poor my progress was in three hours.

It's tough packing for 3 people! 

Late afternoon, when Kate came home from school. Here's them badgering saying hello to the neighbours.
After putting the kids to sleep, I continued to finish packing finally - at like, 5pm. All day! How totally unproductive, but heck - I got the job done. I didn't have time to do much, merely wash up then prep the kids and off to the airport we went!

We had dinner with the father and brother who came to the airport to join us, and then we had time to kill before our late flight. We trotted around looking for a dessert place post-dinner and we came across an indoor playground. Wasn't the most economical decision but well, we're on holiday so we indulged the kids in some play-time. Being a Monday night, the place was pretty empty which was great. I could feel myself relaxing, getting excited that our holiday was really about to happen!


Wheeeee

Flying balloons

Bouncing around like ping pong balls
I was really hoping that the kids would be tired out before the flight which was at 2355. Unfortunately, they were probably so stimulated from the new environment and experience (the airport is as busy at any time of the day) that they were still up and about. We found a nursing room to dress them into their pyjamas before boarding... and I was really wishing that the flight will be fine for them (which translates into the flight being fine for us).

Off we went!

Turns out that they were pretty good - phew! Jake was really fussy initially but that was because he was so tired, he fell asleep quite abruptly within an hour in the plane. Kate was excited about being on the plane and kept asking whether any food will be served, and this/that... but she also fell asleep soon after take-off. I managed to channel surf (700+ channels!) and watched bits and bobs of shows but nothing in particular. The husband and I took turns carrying Jake buckled up and he also spent time in the bassinet - asleep. I also developed a sore neck from being uncomfortable and probably sleeping less than 4 hours in all. When they finally served breakfast at 6am, I had already been up for an hour and Kate woke up in the midst of it, and she was all excited about being served food! It was thrilling to watch her enjoy this new experience and express her excitement so unreservedly. 

Hello, Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment