Monday, October 21, 2013

Saturday. A different kinda date night.


The kids are sick. I've mentioned before that they have been on/off the past two weeks since our return from Japan, but right now, it's getting extremely tiring. And truly, it's one helluva super-f-bug. 

After nights of cold baths, loss of appetite, extremely-childlike behaviour, Kate's (hopefully) at the end of her sick cycle. She sounds like a frog now. A sicky-girly-whiney-frog. 

Jake, on the other hand has just started the bug and he's at the start of the horrid cycle. This means high temperatures, nightly showers and his bug seems stronger than Kate's and while Kate's only just started to cough, Jake's cough is bad and he's done vomitting last night. He also sounds like a frog - who's losing his voice *inserts sad and poor thing music 

This entry is not about them, so let me stop right here about the sickie kids. This entry really is about the break that the husband and I got on Saturday night. *channels nice jazz music to cue right mood to write about our date

SO. After a rather exhausting start to the day, I managed to regain some sanity after a one-hour nap. Lack of sleep really mucks your body about. My run that morning (my first trail run in ages) was soooo bad because my body was just so tired. But I digress. After the nap, and packing the kids off to nainai's for dinner (thank you Mommy for babysitting) I washed up… and made myself a non-candidate for too-early-for-Halloween-kinda scary face. It was a nice hour that the husband and I were just preparing. We didn't speak to each other, just walked about the house comfortably doing our thing. The music was blasting, the house was quiet, we were free to attend to ourselves with no distractions or accidents (water spillage, some boy attempting to climb some dangerous ledge, some girl asking us for this/that, kids fighting…) And it was nice.

We both stepped out of the house with no dirty marks on our bodies. And we smelt nice. 

We headed to a friend's wedding. We didn't manage to stay for dinner, but we did have a decent time catching up with some old friends that we do not see often. After about two hours, we headed to part two of the night. What struck me during the night (as we were driving from one venue to the other) was how quiet it was without the kids. How we can talk about anything/nothing. And it didn't matter. We didn't have to shout. We could talk about what we wanted to. And I could just hear quiet. Ahh, it sounded good. 

So anyhow, the second part of the night was quite interesting. It was an appreciation dinner that was organised by the husband's trainees at work and I entered a room full of testosterone. It was really interesting. 

Some observations of the night.

  • How men show their feelings – it was, interesting. It came out slightly cumbersome, slightly awkward, but for those who managed to spit it out, it was very sweet. 
  • The jokes men make about one another – it was endearing. And as whatever it sounds, I appreciate it because, well, I'd like to think that I get these jokes and the bond because I used to be from the NCC (ok you can stop laughing now)
  • The husband at work – the husband is really a man of few words. But the few times I have seen him centre stage, he's been pretty impressive. People listen to him. And that night, he took to the stage on a few occasions. And every time he stepped up, I look at him and gush a little. Because we've been through so much, I felt like I loved him all over again. 
  • All boys go through NS to toughen them up and I hope that one day, Jake will encounter some good men that will lead him well. The respect that the husband draws is not something that can be mimicked, unless from the heart. To know that he's taught them this well, to have made some impact in their lives for those few months, touches me. 


A few good men

The night ended early-ish. We'd grand plans of heading out for more drinks but we were just too tired. And just as well. The moment we got home, we had to start parental duties by giving Jake a cold bath cos his temperature had crossed over 39. 

And our lives go on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment