Friday, November 22, 2013

Moments I wish to remember

This has been a pretty good week, where post-exams, the husband belongs to us again. I had two (bonus!) girlfriend dinners scheduled this week and was very happy to have had some me-time dining well and catching up with friends. This made me actually miss the kids, as I only saw them for a bit in the mornings and when I went home after dinner, they would be aasleep/I had very little time with the firstborn.

And with things going ahead at neck-breaking speed (do you know that we are only a month away from Christmas? A week to the end of this month?!), I wish to just put on record some things, because.

  • Jake no longer says "I narn". Two days ago, I heard him say very clearly "I want". 
  • Most days, I will call home to speak briefly with the kids. Sometime this week, I'd arrived home when Kate asked me, "Mommy, why you never call me today?"
  • The other day, Kate came to me unprompted, and said, "Mommy, I love you super duper much!"
  • Jake went for his vaccination two days back. Based on my own experience previously, he'd cry for all of 2-seconds and then life goes on. This time round, the husband brought him and I forgot to follow up with the husband how it went, until today. So when I asked him how Jake was during the vaccination, this was his reply (via whatsapp). "He was more angry than in pain" - haha! This made me crack up! My super-strong boy!
  • Kate's definitely a girly girl and she can get more girly. This week, I brought the kids to the neighbourhood pasar malam and she was elated that I allowed her to buy a set of fairy wings + wand + headband. This morning, she'd put on a dress and her "gear" and I overheard her saying "Wow, I'm like Cinderella!"  
  • Jake's cot has been dismantled and he now sleeps on two baby mattresses and a lot of pillows/bolsters. 
  • Jake's night sleeping pattern can still be improved upon. But we have stopped feeding him milk in the night now (& while he asks, he is no longer insistent) and he is fine to just drink water from the bottle and go back to sleep. We have had some successes in him sleeping through from 9pm to 6pm, but mostly he still whines in the middle of the night. 
  • Kate likes school. She's asked why she doesn't need to go to school now and I repeatedly tell her it's the holidays. 
  • Kate likes to perform. She told me this morning "Mommy, today is Friday. Every Friday we need to practise the song and dance" (which is what they did leading up to their school finale concert for the last day of school).
  • There was one evening some weeks ago, that as usual, we were bustling about at dinner time trying to prepare dinner on the table and settle the bowls/chairs/cutlery. Kate usually allots who sits where (usually I'll sit next to her) and there was no chair for me. "Mommy, where is your chair?" she asked while I was in the kitchen. "I'll take it later, darling" I replied, as I was ladling soup/rice from the kitchen. I turned my back and when I turned around, I saw her - unprompted - head to the storeroom to take a chair for me. 
  • Kate randomly kissing my hand when we're walking along hand-in-hand.
  • Jake hugging me tightly ... when we sing the Barney song (... with a great big hug and a....)
  • I was feeling annoyed because K had been acting up. So I went to a quiet spot in the bedroom. K came trotting in and sat beside me (despite me telling her to "go outside") She was doing a project Christmas-deco with the husband and she was holding a pink heart in her hand. She places her little hand on my thigh and said, "Mommy, when you are feeling sad, you just look at this and feel happy, ok?" That really gutted me and made me feel like a prick for being so mean. *sad face
  • I was watching the kids having breakfast and Jake was making his way to me when he tripped over his own feet. I saw him keeling forward and fortunately, he landed in my arms. The surprised-mixed-with-fear-look on his face (I'm sure was a similar reflection on my face) was hilarious. He burst out laughing!... then proceeded to try to re-enact it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment