Friday, November 1, 2013

Lego fun

So, at 4 years old, Kate receives her first Lego set. I know, I know, why so late. I guess because I felt like she already had (building) blocks so I didn't feel like there was a need for Lego. Especially since it's so hazardous  intricate.

But my fortunate kids received this as gifts (one pack each!) and while it is indeed rather tricky to do this with Jake who is younger (must be supervised), Kate is definitely an ideal candidate for this interactive, engaging, educational toy.

There were some interesting observations I made about her from playing with Lego:

1. This little girl is (surprise surprise) impatient. She gets flustered when she cannot get things right.
Guess Lego is one good activity to train her patience. But speaking from experience, this is a life-long journey man.

2. Her fingers cannot click the Lego blocks properly. Not sure why, but she finds it quite difficult to click the blocks together. So she gets frustrated when the blocks don't stay together. Think she just needs practise.

3. She is systematic. She enjoys referencing the book of instructions. She'll flip the pages and go, "I'll do this today." 

4. She is OCD.
Ok, this may be a bit of a strong word to use, but this girl needs the lego to look exactly like the pictures or she doesn't like it! I try to tell her that it's fine to have different colours, or to make it your own way, but she still much prefers to make it as is.

I think it's a good toy to engage her with (I have fun too) and once she gets the knack of this set, I'm more than happy to purchase more sets for her!


Bedtime activity - she requests for Lego the past few nights ever since we opened it up.

Look at those little fingers at work

Reading instructions diligently

No comments:

Post a Comment