Friday, October 21, 2011

"Don't be sad"

The other night, the husband was feeling shattered. His despair was apparent to us, and I really felt for him. I whispered to Kate "go hug Papa, tell him not to be sad".

For the next few minutes, the girl laid on the bed beside her father, hugging his neck as far as her toddler-arms could stretch, and she said to him "Papa, don't be sad.... don't saaaaad". She sat up and rubbed his back, and when there was no response from him, she repeated herself again. "Papa, don't saad, dooon't ssaaaaddd"; while again lying down to hug him.

Thinking back on the episode brings warmth to my heart. It was absolutely lovely to watch, seeing how our child understands empathy and expressing her love to her parent so innocently, earnestly.

I say to the husband, "don't be sad, my love. We are behind you always."

No comments:

Post a Comment