Monday, October 8, 2012

Successful mini-craft project

This idea is totally not novel at all.

But I still thought it worked out very well - in terms of engaging Kate in craft, and having a great result at the end of it!

I first thought of doing it when I was idle shopping at Art Friend. I saw wooden letters and paint and added them up to make this idea. It took me a while because after I first made the purchase some two months back, I had to wait for the letter "T" to arrive (out of stock). Then I split the painting sessions into three. The by-product of this process was that Kate got to dabble in hand-painting which I think she rather enjoys.

The first letters Kate did with her favourite yiyi were "T", "K" & "E".  Then we did "J", "K", & "A".
The last letters were "A" & "E" which I didn't mange to document because I was alone with Kate and well, I never got round to taking any pics.

So even after we did the last batch of painting (2 weeks ago, when I was on sick leave), I again took my time to put this up. I like to engage Kate in little pockets of activity to engage her. And placing the letters up was one perfect (and short) activity to distract engage her in last night, just before she went to bed. It was simple enough - we stuck double-sided tape on the back of the letters and she was very enthusiastic in sticking them on the letters, and later placing the letters on her door. She stuck them on all by herself.

She already knows to identify her name and knows how her name is spelt; now I hope to start teaching her how to spell her brother's name. In the process of doing this, I realised that my kids have only one letter that's different in their names!

End of successful names-on-door project! Hooray!
While the whole exercise wasn't difficult, I must say I'm really pleased with how it all turned out. I learnt that
1. Kate loves to play with paint and dabble with colours. It's extra special because she's watched hi-5 handpainting on youtube and I love that she gets to actually try it for herself.
2. She loves pink and if it were up to her, every hand-painting session will be pink.
3. She likes to DIY as much as she can and I love her independence. She gets antsy if I try to control her (mess).  I try to let her be given that it's not too messy (thus the newspapers)
4. I hope she remembers/enjoys such sessions.
5. Finally, I like that there's an actual end result to this where there's yet another little touch of our own in our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment