Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy 8 weeks, dear Jake

Today, I celebrate surviving 8 weeks of newbornhood - round two. *Seaworld applause

Even while I grin and take a bow, I must admit that it's more manageable this round - not because it's any easier per se, but more because I know what to expect and thus am a lot less fussed (also read as "I am less psycho"). While I was stressed not knowing what to do every time Kate cried before, I pretty much know what Jake knows now (or rather, I just attend to him trying one possible problem after another - does he need a diaper change? is he hungry? is he bored? is he hot? ...) I also don't have to contend with breastfeeding worries (enough milk? how to milk? drinking enough? ...) this round because I was experienced from before (it helped that I didn't have engorgement nor fever too). But what makes it really different (and truly better) is that Jake's temperament is different from that of his sister. While Kate was definitely a fiesty baby, Jake is a lot more mild and sweet-natured. I think he's an angel baby! Though he's not put on a strict schedule (I'm too lazy to do it), by now, he's already on his sorta schedule which I can totally live with (and am happy about!). Of course, it's not that he doesn't cry his lungs out as if we're torturing him at times, but the truth is, with his sort-schedule, my life is made much easier and together with all the "better-ness" mentioned, it's probably why I am surviving.

Jake's sorta-schedule: He's usually always up by 7am (only on one occasion have I managed to cheat 42minutes more of snooze time - by stuffing the dummy to him (I know, I'm terrible - but I swear it was because I had a particularly rough night!). Though it's only ever happened once because the boy is smart enough to spit it out all other times!) By then, he either needs a feed or he is happy to be entertained - either carried or shifted to somewhere other than his cot. It's as if he knows he's up and wants to be about - not here thankyouverymuch!

So I tend to him (either to feed or to play a bit) and an hour later, I'll give him his morning bath. He enjoys it and I love to splash the water about him and I actually feel him becoming clean and comfortable. Jake gets warm quite easily (btw, he has sweaty palms and feet!) and I also see his face turning oily through the day. So I love how he smells and he must feel as shiok as I imagine him to feel!

He's usually ready to go down for a snooze again after and it's easy to just rock him to nap. When he's up, it'd be feeding time - then it's play-time - then it's nap-time. And that's pretty much how his day goes! He only gets grumpy and unhappy (nap interrupted) if he is soiled and needs to be changed; or if his tummy is uncomfortable (though sometimes he can just sleep through slight regurgitation); or if he wants his dummy that's fallen out of his mouth.

At 8 weeks, he's awake for longer stretches (sometimes up to an hour and more) and he goes to bed by 8pm. He still wakes up every 2-3 hours through the night and I'm trying to see how long my body can tolerate this - though I hope he snaps outta it soon (go, Jake, go you can do it! - though maybe I should research to see how I can help him - and myself...)

Such a pleasant baby, isn't he! I've told the husband on more than one occasion that "he's so easy to love". And through all the time that we have spent together all this past 8 weeks, I have really grown to love this little man. Truth is, with all that I've had to contend with (dealing with the hormones...), I've been so caught up with the not-so-importants. And along the way, when the sunrays stream through the clouds, I remember to stop to smell the roses. And when that happens, I smile and breathe in the baby goodness (oh! so lovely!) and like I said, I remember to feel the love for my son.

And finally, here's a bit on some of his developments:

  • Fists are sometimes unclenched
  • For the first two weeks, all Jake ever did was eat, sleep and poop. Like, seriously - a textbook baby!
  • Now, he is very alert when awake - his eyes dart around and he looks like he is absorbing everything around him
  • He coos and gurgles and smiles! It's taken him a while but when he does smile it really makes me crack up!
  • He stretches and grunts and makes all these 'man' noises - something I never encountered with Kate before (!) and after speaking to some other Moms, I gather that it really is a 'man' thing!
  • He also poops/farts and burps really loudly! Like, adult-sized (heh)
  • He is able to lie down and entertain himself for some time - he will stare at something that catches his fancy and lay there (so cutely!) 
  • He listens and seems to recognise voices - I swear he recognises my voice and by now, I always get to see him smile more than once every day!
  • He has the most fantabulous head of hair for a newborn and it's the key talking point among people (even strangers). By now, he's had his hair trimmed twice by his Papa. 

I like to think that after spending nearly all my time with him since his birth, that I'm his favourite person :)

And here's a series of pics of him since birth - easy to track based on his hair - haha!
27 Feb 2012 - Thomson Medical Centre
9-days-old

12-days-old
14-days-old: you can see his spotty face - a transfer of my hormones to him as well as due to the "heat" he's receiving via breastmilk from the confinement food I was consuming

One-month-old; check out his boomz hair!


29 March 2012 - Jake gets his first hair cut

7-weeks-old - Angry!

7-weeks-old - smiley!
7-weeks-old - liking to observe (thanks to the bestie for this hanging mobile)

My 8-weeks-old lil man - Mommy loves you so much

No comments:

Post a Comment