Thursday, April 19, 2012

Happy day

Started good from last night when the sweet husband insisted we head out to dinner. I figured we may as well make it a productive run and so we headed to Ikea in hope to get some shelves for the house. The trip to Ikea failed (didn't get what we wanted) but at least we filled our tummies and we managed a detour to another place where we did buy something we needed.
Post-morning bath with Jake: it was warm enough to don this teeny tank on him - love how "man" he looks with the hair & (kinda) strong arms

Seeing me snap Jake, Kate said that she wanted to take a picture with him. Here's a series of them before I managed a decent shot. It's funny how Kate decided to take his head into her hands - guess she didn't like his head bobbing around much.


A good shot out of the many NGs

Jake went down for a nap and in that time, I managed to spend quite fruitfully with the princess.

Doodling

& we played a silly game of pretend. Here you see her "ringing the doorbell"

It started to pour & there was no way I could manage both kids down to grab lunch. After trying three fast food delivery services, I struck gold with the 4th (phew). No one had to starve. The princess is obviously thrilled! She loves pizza! Here, she goes "WAAAA"

Our unhealthy but rather yummy lunch (such a splurge though for 1.5 people!)

Uh, I did mention she was very thrilled

And here's the final pic of the day - Jake is enthralled with his new toy. Courtesy of the bestie, this hanging mobile does keep him entertained as he just stares at the butterfly. Gotta get batteries to get the thing singing to him too.

Note: several times today, I bit my tongue and I swear it was going to bleed from controlling myself. But I did well today, no tantrums (from me) nor outbursts. I was close one time when Kate threw a tantrum for nothing (I think I asked her to do something like pee or whatever) & she threw stuff on the ground. Somehow, I managed to bite my tongue, take a breath and I told her calmly (I was surprised at how calm I sounded, I was brewing within!) that she could either (1) pick up the things from the floor or (2) go to her room to cry and continue her tantrum and I'll not speak to her. It worked! She said "I pick up the things" & proceeded to do just that - and our day rolled on uneventfully. *beams with pride

There will be ups and downs and I must remember that the tough bits are really not that tough - I just gotta choose how best to deal with them and if I remember who these people are (my children, dammit!) then I should just love them and do what is best for them (which does not include losing my cool).

Little steps... big accomplishments. & I keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment