Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Another day and a bonus week!

Tuesday began with me being awakened by the husband preparing to go to work. I remember him buzzing around the room in his typical tornado-style, kissing Kate and I before he went off. Kate and I, the lucky ones, continued to snooze though I was semi-awake by 7.30am. Kate was still asleep and I let her be while I savoured a half-hour on my own before she finally turned and stretched herself awake. I immediately grinned happily at her and gave her a big "Good morning!"
Cheeky Kate

Rolling Kate (she is a snoozer)

Beautiful Kate - love those half-awake eyes

Kisses for Kate (check out her sleep-mohawk)

Kate kisses me

I love these morning moments with her - it isn't very often that I get the opportunity to laze in bed and muck around with her, so it's especially sweet that I have pictures to capture them. As always, she'll cry for food (growing children are often hungry) and we quickly headed to the kitchen for her breakfast.

Today, I had to go run a personal errand, so after breakfast, I headed off. Kate didn't seem to know any different - she probably thought I was going to work - and today was a day she waved goodbye to me quite happily. I spent the whole morning out and by the time I was done, it was already 3pm (I really expected to be done 2 hours earlier). This errand of mine turned out to be a little more time-consuming than I'd expected, not just in the case of today, but turns out that I gotta dedicate some time next week to it, so very quickly, I made some calls and now, instead of having a week-long break, turns out that I have an extra week of time-off! Woot!

I missed bringing Kate for her (month-late) vaccination at the polyclinic yesterday, so after I was done with my errand and a quick-but-satisfying (in terms of quality of time spent, not food consumed) lunch with the sister, I quickly rushed home and brought Kate to the polyclinic nearby. It was a challenge getting her there as it was drizzling and I had to juggle a bag (her barang) as well as an umbrella. These weren't the difficult bits (I'd learnt how to be a juggler when I became a Mother) - it was the fact that Kate was uber insistent that I opened the umbrella (even when we were under shelter) and cried until I did. I ended up carrying her and holding an open umbrella all the way - good thing the polyclinic was merely a 10-minute walk away (could have been quicker without the challenges!

Some lessons learnt from today's trip to the polyclinic:
1/ You have to make an appointment at polyclinics
When I reached the entrance of the polyclinic at 3.45pm (officially they'd indicated that registrations close at 4pm), I was actually turned away.
They do not allow walk-in vaccination patients. I presented my case to the nurse on duty that (i) it was my first time at the polyclinic and I didn't know that I had to make a prior appointment (ii) it was raining and I'd already made it all the way there (with a bag, umbrella and a fidgety baby) so please, I'll really like to make the trip fruitful. Maybe it was the fact that I looked quite a state (ask the sister, I look a sight today post-errand), maybe it was that I had a cute baby, maybe it was that the nurse was a kind and understanding soul - whichever the case or combo of reasons, I was allowed to proceed - not without a kind reminder that in the future, I should make an appointment.

2/ The newly renovated polyclinic was rather nice
It was spacious and everything looked spanking new. I didn't feel that it was as contaminated nor 'germy' compared to other clinics - which was a great thing.

3/ It is not true that every clinic can provide your child with vaccinations
It's what I've been told by several parents: Go to any clinic, the shots are the same. The prices vary and polyclinics are much cheaper.
In a general sense, I believe this is true. However, in my case for today, it wasn't. Kate was due for her 3rd dose of pneumococcus but she left the clinic without a jab in her butt because the polyclinic did not have any records in their system that displayed the brand of vaccination she received at the private clinic. Therefore, as this was the third dose, the clinic was unable to match the brand of the previous doses provided and were unwilling to give her any possibly an un-matching brand as the previous two doses. What a letdown! I'd made the virgin trip to the polyclinic because of the heresays and the convenience of it being a walk away but turned out that it was a semi-waste of time. I say semi because ultimately, it was still time spent with Kate and that can never ever be considered waste. Of course, if the goal was attained it would have been better, but I've learnt to let go and be alot more magnanimous - virtues of becoming a mother.

Also, we had a relatively decent time playing around at the clinic while waiting for our turn:

Kate staring intently at...

Another kid being fed - this girl can sniff food a mile away!

We also played

peek-a-

boo!

After returning from the clinic, Kate collapsed from fatigue and I managed to take a shower and wash the rain grime off my body. When she awoke, I treated her to kiddy songs and videos from youtube; as well as introduced Pocoyo to her (she preferred the kiddy songs).

Mac-potatoes

After 20minutes, I distracted her with toys and books.

Playing
And crying because she didn't get her way

Humpty Dumpty

Each day seems the same with Kate - as it ought to be as routines are good for children such as her feeding and nap times, some books and toys (repetition is key to drumming it into a child's brain). However, I love to make our days a little different and special so that she is introduced to different things constantly. She's always curious and I'm certain that her vocabulary is improving each day. Even how she is very mischievous and temperamental are signs that she is developing.

I'm very thankful that we had yet another lovely day and even more that I have a bonus week with her! Yaay

No comments:

Post a Comment