Thursday, November 18, 2010

True love

I've been walking around the past 2 days with mini-patches of plasters on my face and arm. Though relieved that I'm not in real pain, these patches are not sightly - at all. Close ones (relatives) have pointedly asked me 'what's wrong why like that ah?' whereas strangers, well, just stare (some more obviously than others).

I'm pretty thick-skinned so I just plough on as normal and try to respond with minimal fuss.

The husband and I had a wedding dinner to attend, and after much debate and (internal) struggle, I decided to go (for various reasons - the most obvious being that it was a wedding dinner to celebrate a friend's love and union. Who am I to act so selfish and vain to think that people may mind what I looked like?!) So in the middle of dinner, when the husband made a passing remark to me "my friends are rather tactful not pointedly asking you what's wrong with you, hor"; something struck me.

Truly, the only person who did not ask or question me, was Kate. Neither did she eye me strangely or differently - at all. To her, oh the lovely innocence and pureness of a child, I was her mother and still am. Regardless of what I look like, how I smelt, how I dressed, whether I ignored her, scolded her or anything - she still treated me exactly the same.

Of course, the husband and my family were cool about my looks, not like anyone dodged me like the plague - but that's not the point. What is, is that my little precious did not judge me and impressed upon me how she is really my offspring and she loves me unconditionally.

I reciprocate whole-heartedly. True love.

1 comment: