Sunday, November 28, 2010

I did it!

To those who know me, I'm very undomesticated. I may clean and map and wash and wipe, but I cannot cook. Ok, I can and I have before, but I'm not very good and I don't like it and I'm a lucky girl who has many who will cook for me - the husband, the mother, the mil...

I'm thus quite ashamed to say that I have only ever cooked for Kate thrice before; which works out to be three times in 9.5months (counting from month 6 when she started on semi-solids). The first occasion was when the mil was away on a short holiday and I took leave to be home with Kate. It was potato and carrot puree - which I destroyed on my first attempt because I burnt the potatoes and carrots (not enough water) - I know, tragic and embarrassing, but true. The house filled with a burning smell and I was stupefied for some moments before dashing to the kitchen to find to my greatest dismay that I'd burnt the food. Tragic, very.

The second time was at my mom's place and she happened to be out - I attempted to cook porridge for Kate. I thought it tasted pretty yuck - I couldn't boil the rice properly and kept adding water to ensure that the rice didn't burn - thus spoiling the porridge; it definitely isn't going to be congee that's for sure. The husband was so impressed (and amazed, or maybe, shocked) that he snapped a picture of it.

Porridge for Kate - Mama's first attempt at cooking porridge (chopped fish and veg)

Yesterday, something came over me (I don't know what!) and I asked the mil to teach me how to prepare Kate's food. She gave me a live tutorial and it was actually rather easy. This morning, I took the initiative to prepare the porridge and I'm so very proud to say that I DID IT! The porridge was as yums as what the mil typically prepares - I can cook for my daughter!

I'm a happy and proud mom. The husband gave a (semi) praise "that's good".

I told him "now we know that we can all eat baby porridge if I'm cooking!"

No comments:

Post a Comment