Monday, November 1, 2010

Gaining independence

Kate is definitely becoming more endearing, as she becomes equipped with knowledge each day. Her developments are amazing and I love to watch her execute commands, as she displays proudly the things that she knows - whether she mimics actions that we do, or speaks words.

Last night, she annoyed, surprised and amused me - all at the same time.

It was late, way past her bedtime and she awakened suddenly, wanting to get off the bed. After struggling with her for some tries, I gave up and gave her the "Mommy is very tired. I'm going to sleep!" lecture and proceeded to lay down and pretend sleep. This has happened before and it still annoyed me (I was very tired! She ought to be sleeping!) - but what she did next was pretty amazing.

She picked up the empty milk bottle (from her post-sleep feed), stood by my face and made the milk sign (sign language), and proceeded to walk towards the door holding the bottle tightly in her hand. When she reached the door (which was closed), she turned around to look at me. I was still lying in bed. After waiting 3 seconds, she walked back to me and repeated the sign language and walked to the door again. This little girl was asking for milk and wanted me to head to the kitchen!

I was very impressed and felt, now what I recognise, as pride. My little girl is able to display her intentions through her ways and it is an amazing thing. I'm pretty stoked.

Now, only another 2 days before the husband comes back from his work trip so he can takeover some parenting duties and watch her developments and growth with his own eyes.

Parenting is definitely more rewarding when two people are able to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment