Friday, January 13, 2012

Dear Kate

Dear Kate,

The past month has been rather (too?) exciting for you – from the time that you fell very ill with that horrid bacteria infection saga. I watched you become a lifeless doll with glazed eyes; just thinking back on how you were then breaks my heart. Ever since you were discharged though, you’ve become naughtier – you throw tantrums when you want your way and you let us know it very loudly and very clearly. I’m not sure why, perhaps it’s because you’ve experienced extreme emotions (more so than you’ve ever before in your life) & you’ve found this to be the way to express yourself. I really hope that you’ll learn to be more patient and listen to us. We love you so much and it pains me to see you that distressed; upsets/angers me to see you become outta control just because; and frustrated because we cannot possibly give in to your demands always.

Cliché as it sounds, what Papa and I do is in your best interest and I know you won’t get it until you’re grey in your hair that not getting your way always is just the of life – you have to learn through the hard way; but in the process of your learning, it’s truly a learning experience for me too – cos I have to remember that you’re going through your own emotions and you are trying to cope too.

Talking about coping, I must say that I’m very proud of you. The next new big thing in your life is school! You have done pretty well – it’s day 8 today. You started off loving it with heaps of enthusiasm, so much that you refused to leave. I guess the novelty’s worn off slightly and for the past 2 days you’ve been crying when dropped off. It makes me so sad to know that you’re mildly distressed, though it’s very normal for you to be feeling some level of discomfort. Your excitement for school is still there though, and you are more than happy to put on your uniforms in the morning; and each night when I ask you if you wish to go to school the next day, you always say “yes”. I guess you’re just mildly confused about being stuck at this new place for too long a time. Papa and I will try our best to make the necessary arrangements so that you don’t stay there too long each day, but it’s inevitable that there will be days that you’ll be there longer. I’m sorry that you’ll need to adjust and get used to school, but you are a clever girl and I know you will learn very well, develop very quickly & hopefully adapt to school and not be upset (soon please).

You are still struggling with the concept of sharing – which is again something that I cannot help you with. I can only continue to remind you that it’s the right thing to do and you’ll have to learn to do the right thing. I know you’re unhappy to share (you blatantly say “I don’t want to share. I want all by myself!”) but this behavior will only make you more miserable – again, you have to learn to let go and share; no other way about this.

Another big thing is that we have moved. You ask to “go home” thinking it’s our old place, yet at the same time, you are happy with “Kate’s new home” – you like your new room, though you wake sleep interrupted in the night; I’m not sure why exactly, but I figure that you’re definitely needing to adjust and adapt to the new space. I love how you are happy to explore and walk about the house and I hope you’ll learn to love your new home. And learn to sleep properly (through the night please). Picking up the flu bug at school doesn’t help and probably makes you feel awful (no one likes coughing and a sniffly nose) though again, it’s another by-product that we have little choice but to soldier on with.

Oh Kate, you are our darling and I just hope that you’ll adapt quickly so that you’re more settled into our new life. It pains me to know that you are uncomfortable with all that’s going on – it’s very overwhelming, I know. Even I feel it, much less little you. So much going on for your little mind, so I don’t blame you for getting anxious and cranky though please know that just because we don’t give in to all your demands, Papa and I love you very much and we are always here for and with you.

Things will be better soon, my dear, we’ll be ok!

Pretty in maxi-uniform (morning)

Uniform polo & skorts (afternoon)

Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment