Friday, January 6, 2012

Kate goes to school - childcare

Kate started school on 4 January 2012.

I was filled with mixed feelings about her going. She was originally enrolled for December 2011, but due to delays in our home-moving, we pushed it back a month which was just as well since December was a 'holiday month' - it allowed us time to spend as leisurely as we could. When the day rolled around... wait. The night before the day rolled around, I was still feeling unprepared (uh, yeah I left the packing & preps till that night) and was up till rather late preparing her things for school the next day. So much packing! And it's a good thing I didn't listen to the husband's "pack tomorrow morning" because the next morning brought some delays (expected) which saw us arriving at school at 9am (30minutes behind our planned time).

Ready to go to school

Walking into the building (school on level 3)

Sitting on the bench provided, taking off her shoes

Kate Seah is in class N1 Pisa (they have other names like Miami... and I cannot recall the rest)

The entire place was chaotic with people streaming in and out, us not knowing who's staff and not, and the biggest thing has got to be the wailing and cries and tear-streaked faces with kids looking for their parents! It was so heart-wrenching and traumatic for me to watch those kids, and I was worried that Kate will be affected. However, my little trooper was more interested in the toys and exploring the place, so much so that the husband and I didn't know what to do since she seemed to be doing very well. Kate was the only new kid in her class and besides the fact that Kate wasn't dressed in the school uniform (the teacher-in-charge is away and I haven't been able to make that purchase) she fitted in very, very well.

So we stepped out of the school, leaving Kate amongst her new friends. That's her class teacher, Shanthi.

I spent the next hour & a half sending the husband to work and going for a leisurely brunch. What an unexpected burst of time to myself! I then headed back to school to pick Kate. I was greeted by an empty classroom.

So I took a picture of her little cubby-hole

& was amused by her sleeping mat (I forgot to bring her mattress cover that day). Then I ventured towards where there was noise...

And was greeted by children lined up against the wall leading to the bathroom


I peeked into the shower area and found my baby! That's her (back-view) just about to be showered. I didn't want her to see me in the midst of this activity so I stepped out quickly.

Couldn't resist this shot of a random boy who was falling asleep while waiting for his turn to shower! He kept nodding off & it was so funny!

My girl, full of smiles upon spotting me. I felt so happy that she burst into a huge smile upon sighting me and called out "Mummy!"

She gets changed by the teacher

The girl spotted her milk bottle and sneakily picked it up

Laying on her sleeping mat, kaypoh-ing

The class is still not at its full attendance yet, thus the small number of kids in the class at the moment

Teacher says it's a good time to come in as it allows Kate time to climatise to the environment and with lesser kids for now, the teacher is also able to provide more TLC & attention to Kate (the new kid). Curriculum starts officially next week. She then proceeded to tell me what the kids did in the time that I was away - they headed out for play-time, played at the indoor playground, did art & craft, had their lunch and I'd come back in time to see her shower. I was allowed to take Kate home then since it was her first day, though for the rest of the day it'd be nap-time followed by more play.

Teacher also gave me positive feedback that Kate wasn't frightened at all and in fact, helped console another classmate who was crying. She did say that Kate was "exploring" and by that, I think she's trying to say that Kate is easily distracted and wanders out of her class perimeters =_=

Kate's first art piece at school - Chinese Cherry Blossom. Teacher drew the blossom outline and Kate stuck all the beads on all on her own. I'm amazed that she can do them! I think the piece looks awesome!

Leaving school on day one. I'm enforcing Kate to take her own little bag. She is lazy to do so and I'll just leave the bag on the ground, leaving her little choice but to take it on her own.

Day 2 was a challenge because again, I spent time packing her bag the night before (I don't know why it takes me so long! Hmm, it's the unfamiliarity I reckon, and the fact that I'm so kanchiong I check and re-check. It'd become easier soon - I know) and I could only do so after putting her to sleep. It's an effort because we have to rush through the dinner and post-dinner activities (double quick time to shower! To eat! To do whatever!) because we need to be comfortably in bed an hour ahead to put her to sleep earlier. Sleeping earlier is good - a necessity actually - because we're up much earlier than usual and oh boy, after shuttling her to school on my own just for 2 days, I'm tired out.

Day 2 - little Miss Curious stares at her fellow school-mates. By this time, we'd already been up for more than an hour. Kate's had some breakfast at home, given a diaper change & a fresh change of clothes and we'd also been on the roads for at least half an hour.
Again, she sits on the same bench. She is distracted by the "temperature table" and after 2 minutes I had to take off her shoes & socks for her else I'd be late for work!

Her turn to be checked - the teacher takes her temperature, checks her mouth, back, hands & feet for any abnormalities.

She strolls in confidently on her own

& begins her "exploration" already. She crosses over to Class Miami - not her space!

I had to go off to work so I was desperately trying to say a proper goodbye to her. It was tough because she was just so distracted with everything that was going on - she wanted to touch toys, and she wanted to walk around, and she wanted to look (stare) at other children, especially those creating a fuss =_= I must admit it took me a couple of times of goodbyes before I left; cos I wanted to hug and kiss and say goodbye to her many times.

I thought of her several times through the day while at work, but was comforted knowing that she seemed happy when I left her. I went to pick her at about 4pm on day 2.

I was greeted by her taking her afternoon milk with her friends.

I also snapped a pic of her craft - though I have no idea what this is (probably a mandarin orange, in line with the CNY theme?)

And the girl plays the fool, refusing to leave.

Again, creating a fuss at the door not wanting to leave school.

I don't believe it - after all the stress (mine) of her adapting to school, she finally breaks down because she does not want to go home! Gee. It was really frustrating and amusing to see her respond like this - I know it's a good problem but oh boy, it is so tough trying to discipline a naughty child! *ggrr refer to last entry - *sigh

Anyway, today is day 3 and after the drama with Kate last night, I only managed to go to sleep myself after 11pm. I had poor sleep too because the husband didn't come home and that doesn't ever feel right. And again, it's so stressful rushing to get out of the house on time. Though the girl wasn't already awake (she was, yesterday) she was still ok enough to wake up for her breakfast and she still wanted to go to school.

We left home about 5 minutes later today which ate into my time at the school with Kate (since that's the only flexible time I have, given that I have to be at work by 9am). But again, my girl was well on her own and I didn't even take any pics today. I just hugged her, kissed her and told her goodbye. The husband is going to pick her from school today and I look forward to his views and his stories from meeting her.

It's such a refreshing and emotional experience letting your kid grow up - and this is only but a small step in the many steps that she will be taking in her life. I was chatting with fellow mommy colleagues (one's daughter will be starting childcare next month and another's son started Primary 1 this week) and it's just tough to watch them grow and let them go. But of course, we have to - otherwise it just defies the natural cycle of growth.

We have to get used to this new routine of packing and watching our timings very closely (that's rather stressful). I'm also floored by the amount of laundry she's consuming - more now that she's in school than before and that translates into more work that needs to be done. Overall, I'm very proud of my girl. I know that she will develop and grow very well in the school environment!

Well done, dear (baby) Kate. Mommy is so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment