Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Moved

We have moved! Officially!

Yesterday morning, the husband did the official necessaries and after work, we went to the hypermart and purchased $300 worth of things to spiff up our home. From groceries (bread, spreads, toothbrush etc) to utilities (dustbin, floor mats, towels etc). We popped by my Mom’s for Kate to take a shower (mini hiccup of not having hot water in our home yet) & we headed home!

It felt so surreal to have a new space of our own and I tried to stay focused by doing the important things – like preparing Kate for bed – then once the husband was in the room putting her to sleep, I pottered around trying to pack and get things organized. I definitely wasted a lot of time because everything was so unfamiliar and I made too many trips walking around aimlessly or forgetting to take this/that and trying to make the place mine. I definitely have plenty more packing to do! (Note to husband: once I re-organise a little more, you’ll have space I assure you!)

It was so cute to see Kate excited and willing to sleep in her new room (I got new bed!) and besides mentioning to the husband “I want to go home” once before she fell asleep, she’s accustomed well to the new surroundings. We are educating her that “this is your new home”. She fell asleep pretty ok and it was so cute to see her sleeping on her own little bed (ok, not that little. It’s a super single. But she’s always slept on the queen bed with me and she now has her very own bed!) I felt a slew of emotions as I watched her sleeping – I’ve probably never had her sleep not by my side when we’re under the same roof and it felt odd to leave her, and when I shared this with the husband he said “then you sleep with her la”. I thought for 2 seconds and said “no. I’m going to sleep on my own. In 2 month’s time I’ll be up every hour already!” And marched off to my new master bedroom.

I must say that the master bedroom is truly a restful place. Though I’m still not used to the new bed and room, what’s nice about the room is that there are no distractions nor clutter. Currently, all there is in the room is our bed. The soft carpets & curtains add a nice touch to make the room feel very cosy. I notice that the house is noisier compared to our old place (much traffic noise) and tonight, I may try sleeping without the air-conditioning. The night breeze is quite cool and if it is comfortable enough, we can save some utility bill simultaneously.

One of the last thoughts I had before going to sleep last night, was that the space in our little haven is more than enough for our little family. At night, Kate’s in her room, I’m in mine and the husband his. Ok, so the living room is not his room per se, but he now has more than ample space to do everything he wants in all that space while the daughter and I are out of his hair. I’ve yet to speak with him but I reckon he finds the space liberating. And probably very enjoyable. It’s so different from when the 3 of us were packed into one room before!

This morning, I got up earlier because I wanted more time to potter & waddle around the house. I had to make sure that I was ready before being able to get Kate ready – that was the plan. I was in the shower (I’d left the door ajar) & suddenly there she was, standing at the door! I got a mini shock and greeted her “good morning!” – she just looked at me, rubbed her eyes sleepily and headed off to the living room. I was quite amused because she was obviously not interested in talking to me and more keen to just do her own thing (preferring to explore). She came back 20seconds later holding the box of pandan cake & announced “Got cake! I want to eat!” …

I stepped out of the shower quickly, and gave her some cake & warm water while fluttering to get myself ready for work. I then proceeded to get her cleaned up for school – I could tell that she was still getting used to the place, she kept wanting to walk about the house with the cake in her hand and I had to tell her “no” (threatening to clear her plate if she didn’t stay to finish it). Miraculously, I got both of us ready to leave the house at 8am – the agreed time that the Dad will come pick us. Thank goodness I have family support where the lovely yeye sent Kate to school. I orientated yeye to the school so that he can help do so on his own soon, and I got a ride to work! Definitely have to get used to this preparing two of us routine in the mornings.

I’m really looking forward to going home tonight. I have much packing to do and I want to make it more livable for us all *nesting instinct kicking in

On another note, it was a breeze dropping Kate off at school. It starts the moment we enter the compounds, she'll climb up the flight of steps & start looking (staring) at the other kids who are going to school too. She'll then head straight to the school entrance and do the dos (take off her shoes & allow the teacher to take her temperature & check her body/hands/feet) & she marched right in. Today, she was very adorable - I'm guessing that because there weren't any kids around at that point in time, she wasn't (so) distracted and she sat on the mini chair, looked at me and said (while waving) "goodbye Mommy" - I was very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment