Monday, January 9, 2012

It's been 9 days (only?!)

Everyone looks forward to the new year as it brings new hope, new challenges and new possibilities. We have plenty on our plate; here’s a recap of what’s new in the past 9 days.

1/ Kate goes to school

Kate’s started childcare and that’s a big change in our lives. For one, the timings in our daily schedule is completely changed because we have to fit fetching & picking her from school into our lives. A big plus is that she is learning plenty (already we hear her singing new tunes) & she’s enjoying herself for sure because she wants to go to school so no separation anxiety and any of that we need to contend with. The down-side is that after 3 days last week, she’s already picked up a bug and the weekend was spent feeding her cough & cold meds (she had mild fever too) and having to put up with her cranky mood because she was unwell.

It doesn’t help that she’s picked up a rash that’s making her itch and irritable – and there’s little we can do at the moment besides administer her medicine and hope that it works very soon & I hope the rash clears up please!

There are also administrative things that we need to take care of including school fees, uniforms ($ka-ching!) and little itsy bitsy stuff like packing her school bag, doing extra laundry, purchasing more necessaties (towels, socks, bedsheets)… it’s just new now and seems plenty to do and I cannot wait for me to get into the groove of this. Hopefully, the pains of “start-up” costs for school will also ease soon once we stop having to fork out for deposits/extra lessons and a seemingly endless miscellaneous list.

2/ We move

Today is the official day that we are moving into the house. This has been pushed back a couple of months and as the husband says “there’s no good time” – so we’re just going to do it. This has resulted in our weekend packed with errands to make the house livable. I’m so proud of the husband because he’s really taken the lead in building our home and though my contributions are minimal, I still take pride that I’ve helped in driving around to help sort out things like exchanging for the right set of lights/ helping to co-ordinate some deliveries – things that are time-consuming (but which I managed to help with when I can). We also spent the weekend cleaning and wiping and placing things up so that the house seems like a home. We do still have plenty more to purchase ($ka-ching!) but we still have plenty to go.

3/ Work, school and our own lives

On top of these changes, the usuals go on. The husband and I have to work. He’s not even started school (yet!) and whee it’ll be another fun game when that starts. & of course, the ‘our own lives’ bit includes me being heavily pregnant right now. I have another 8 weeks to go till EDD and physically, my body is beginning to creak. My shoulders, back and calves are achy and I get tired easily. I’m not sure if it’s the overwhelming hormones/things going on in my life resulting in an over-stimulated brain, or whether it’s because of me being in the third trimester – whatever the case, my brain is so active that I’m insomniac and I don’t get proper rest. But when the day starts, I just continue ploughing on because I know I’m not alone – the husband is equally busy & tired and we both have to work together to make things happen because they just go on – otherwise the ball will drop and well, that’s not really an option. As it is, we’re lucky that we have help from our families; things could be a lot worse. O and another un-fun side effect of the pregnancy is that I’m feeling nauseous. Not bad enough so that I need to throw up, but I retch sometimes and well, it’s uncomfortable. Our lives will change again upon Jake's arrival... now that's another story and will throw another new spin into our lives, again.

Only 9 days in and we’re pretty tired. I know things will get better.

It’s begun – the fun new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment