Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dear Jake

Dear Jake,

Happy three months old! (sorry, I'm 2 days late)

You are growing up so quickly! Your newborn onesies are becoming a little tight and we can feel that you're gaining weight (though I'll only know your actual weight when we go for your next check-up/vaccination this Friday). Your appetite is great and you consume about 130-140mls of milk per feed, this is nearly double of what Kate used to consume! I'm still latching and expressing milk when I'm at work, and I can only hope that the supply will be sufficient for your needs.

You did a mini latch-strike (ok, not truly a strike, more like you showing extreme displeasure when you had to suckle for milk) and that really made me upset. I don't want you to become lazy, Jake! Milk comes out immediately from a bottle and I know that it's easier for you, but latching is my one way of bonding with you (ok, I admit, it's also a lot more convenient) so I really hope that you will be a good boy and allow Mommy to feed you. After the last few days (yay to weekends) of "training", you seem to have become better. Keep it up, ok my darling?

Your personality is beginning to show quite clearly. Generally, you're mild and good-natured, though you do this really squeaky scream (yes, scream!) which is quite extraordinary, which demonstrates that you have this fiery streak within! You show your displeasure when hungry/aggravated/upset quite clearly and I wouldn't want to be the one to provoke you for you are fierce! I used to think that Kate (ala Little Miss Bossy) will bully you because you seemed so quiet, until you showed us your fiery side. Now, I think that Kate better watch where she steps - because I think you will show no mercy if she steps on your tail!

I love it when you're awake and alert - you coo and talk a lot now and I love talking to you. Being mother to more than one child takes up a lot more time, and with me being back at work, I feel that we don't spend enough time together. So any pocket of time that we have together that you coo and "talk" to me, I savour and enjoy. I love morning time (though I may be very tired and groggy and grumpy) - because that's when you are all mine (& also why I want to look after you by myself at night time though it saps my energy and makes it just that tad bit difficult to work) - and I love watching you enjoy the quiet, kicking your strong legs up and about (up to a point that you get bored or something and start to cry).

You kick and arch your back a lot (for the past month) and I know you're gaining more control of your body. I wonder when you'll actually flip. You also raise your head longer and steadier and higher on tummy time - all sure signs that you're developing well. Good job, my dear boy!

I cannot believe that I have two kids, and I know that I'm very lucky to have a lovely boy like you. I really love you so much, baby. I look forward to watching you grow each day, blooming into the young man I know you will be (a great one!).

Nearly-flip
Love your (still a little rare) smile
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment