Friday, May 4, 2012

Open-door concept

When I first moved into the house, it was terribly liberating (anyone who's ever owned their own place will know exactly what I mean). In the husband's words "it's like we have a very big room of our very own." (We lived in his room in his parent's house after we got married until we shifted here in January.)

When I was pregnant, and we only had one child, it was quite easy to park Kate at my mom's for her to help babysit Kate. And if the husband was out, I'd have the house all to myself. Because my body temperature was higher then, I love to take long leisurely showers - and I'd do so without shutting the door - because I did not have to! I know, it sounds silly but truly it was quite amazing. (No, I'm not into flashing or anything kinky like that. I just enjoy my space.)

Now, it's slightly trickier to do that because the house is pretty much always with someone around as it's more challenging to find babysitting options for both kids at the same time.


But. Having said that, I realise that this "open door concept" still stands to some degree. No, not while I'm in the shower, but even when we sleep and if I'm merely sitting on the bowl.

Why?

Because this gives Kate the freedom to look for us no matter where we are. It also allows her to let herself into any room in the house by herself without kicking up a fuss. She walks out of her room when she wakes up and sleepily goes in search of either breakfast/Jake/me depending on her mood. And she seeks comfort knowing just where we are - and popping her head to check that we're really there - before going off to do her own thing again.

It's just a little, uh, invasive sometimes, like this morning. I was mid-poop (haha, sorry TMI) and she came in and said "Mommy you share the toilet with me? I also need to ng-ng" - I was horrified but luckily, managed to coax her to use the other bathroom instead (either that, or she really had to go - haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment