Friday, May 20, 2011

The bestie

The bestie and I go wayy back. We stuck by each other in our delinquent days, even past those days, to where we are today – both married and both with child (albeit hers is just within her still). I cannot put my finger on why we get along this well, except that we do. I think it stems from the fact that we played plenty of punk together & you know how it is when people bond through hardship (hah). But the truth is, I really appreciate her honesty, her care and concern and having had years of experiences together, I think we’re pretty inseparable.

When we were in our early 20s, we even got inked together! It was a design that we both agreed on and we did it in different colours. It’s a simple design with “creative looking” hearts forming a butterfly – we thought that the hearts represented us. (Aaawwww)


Lousy pic of my tatt (taken sneakily at my workstation). The bestie’s is in red.


The bestie is preggers and very very close to popping. Her EDD is 23 May, only 4 days to go! Yesterday, my little family met up with her little family and it was an enjoyable session of mediocre food & great company. I just wanted to hang out with her more - simply because I could. We had moments in our lives where we were both apart from each other ( - physically. We were in different continents) & now that we are re-united and practically neighbours, I really enjoy hanging out aplenty!

While the bestie and I get along very well mostly, we are actually rather different. I think we have both evolved over the years, in our temperaments, expectations and life experiences. The biggest difference I spy right now is our attitudes towards motherhood.

I am the "kanchiong spider". The over-doer, the troublesome one, the one who over-worries - generally am "overboard". She, on the other hand, is the chillest mom-to-be. She takes afternoon snoozes (ah, the lucky one who does not need to work), she is relaxed not only in the way she carries herself now while preggers, but it seems to even extend to her being a new mother & her newborn.

Now, I admire her relaxed attitude because I wish I could be like that (though I know myself well - it wouldn't be possible for me to be like that with my first child cos, well, I'm just not like that). But I'm really excited that the bestie will experience one of the most important and life-changing moments in her life to be blessed with child. I've seen her go through bad relationships before (as she of me), and to see her settle down with a good man and now, going to be a Mom, well, I just cannot be happier.

So days before she does the great push and delivers her beautiful child to this world, I want to wish her all the best, to have plenty of fun in the process (not the delivery, but becoming a Mother la!) - to remember to be patient and communicate & love thy partner, and most of all, to revel and enjoy the most beautiful gift that she will ever receive in the world - her daughter.

Aunty June is looking forward to meeting you, baby Jaz. I love you already!

Kate & unborn Jaz

No comments:

Post a Comment