Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ladies of leisure

Yesterday was one of those days where the ladies in my family were all free; Mom, Jean and I were all not working and I’d planned a day to hang out altogether with Kate!

We started the day by picking up the mother and sister from home and swinging by a childcare centre. I wanted to visit the school to check out the environment, to see if it is suitable for Kate. [This childcare plan has been a huge topic of procrastination that the husband and I hadn’t tackled. We’d done a few sessions of school visits but truth is, nothing seems to be good enough. This deserves an entry of its own!]

Kate got startled by a couple of things – namely when the teacher tried to take her temperature and check her palms and feet (routine HFMD check), but she rather enjoyed using the automated sanitiser dispenser where she happily kept rubbing her hands with the liquids squirted out. She also displayed her independence, walking about the school, helping herself to the toys that were displayed all around. It heartened me to see how comfortable she was, though I’m still not entirely convinced that she’ll be comfortable following any sort of schedule led by the school. I believe it can be trained! [The husband and I really have to start thinking about this childcare arrangement!]

Kate at the school

After we left the school, we headed to Thomson Medical Centre where Kate had to take her final jab in her babyhood. She’s much older and aware of her surroundings now, and the moment she entered the doctor’s room she started clinging on to me like velcro and wailing, not liking that the doctor was touching her. She relaxed the moment the examination was over (it was merely the stethoscope really, nothing scary at all!) when I said “ok say bye bye!” and enthusiastically parroted “bye bye!”

The vaccination was a bit of a trauma cos again, she knew that something bad was looming and she yelled the moment I held onto her tightly and gee, can this girl yell. I swear she traumatized everyone – parents and kids alike – who were in the waiting room. I felt a pang of heartache seeing her react this way but it’s just temporary and vaccinations are good for her! It’s quite funny how she was all sensitive about her arm (it must be mildly smarting or ‘suan’ or something) cos throughout the day (till this morning), every time she remembered the jab or felt something, she’ll touch her arm and whine “pain pain”. On a side note, Kate now has a Certificate of Vaccination (never knew of such things?!) which goes to show that the husband and I have been doing something right (hah).

Lunch was at ION where I bought lunch for the ladies. We had yummy xiaolongbaos and noodles and we were all stuffed at the end of it.

Lady at lunch

Post-lunch, Kate was very tired and within 10 minutes of the mother patting her, she fell asleep. We adults had a quiet hour while Kate napped and we walked about ION strolling through the shops and teasing the sister about her inability to understand simple statements like “all civil servants…” I also made a happy discovery that my loot which I asked the sis-in-law to buy for me from Europe is much cheaper – yay! 30% baybaye)


Shopping & bonding

It was also a “watchful” day with my dropping my watch off for a battery replacement and Mom collecting her watch after dropping it off for some repairs.


So close @ Rolex

We ended off the afternoon having cake and milkshake – sugar overload! – which was truly yummy and decadent. Thanks to the sister for the treat!

She loves Barney

On the way home - tired baby

It’s such a treat to be able to spend a day of leisure doing yummy things like having cakes, shopping and laughing, and even more enjoyable when you do so with loved ones.

What a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment