Monday, May 9, 2011

Our beautiful story

Here's the story of this beautiful bouquet of roses. 99 red roses in all.

It's the first time I've ever seen/received/held a bouquet this big. And the best bits?
  • It's free!
  • And it's also timely for Mothers' Day.
The husband and I have been wanting to do a short getaway for yonks. But we are always complaining that we're broke (there's always something else that needs to be purchased that's of greater importance, like diapers! Milk powder! Breakfast! Food! - you get the idea) & I heard this ad on Class95 where they were giving away a short holiday trip at some-island-somewhere (I forget). I rang the husband and I told him of this & he said quite spontaneously "write in la!"

So I did.

I did it in quite a hurry but I kept the juice of our relationship within - here’s sharing my exact submission on Class 95:

Tell us your love story... how you met, how you fell in love : The husband and I met when we were in secondary school. We were from different ends of the islands (West & North) and our paths will probably never have crossed, if our schools hadn’t sent us to OBS (outward bound school). We were in the same group & it was a 3 or 4-day camp. We were both keen on each other already, and a few months after the camp, we dated. It lasted all of 6 months – it was such sweet innocent puppy love but it didn’t last because we were so young and life was just “so complicated” when you’re the “grand old age of 16”. It was really playfulness that caused me to break up with him really, cos I wasn’t serious in the relationship. We kept in touch after though, because he is really a sweetie and I remember how we would meet up infrequently when I came back to Singapore on study vacation (I studied overseas then) and it was always pleasant and sweet. I know that I always regard him as “the sweet one”, because during our dating days, it was truly sweet, no other way to describe it. We went for movies, we held hands, we hung out at Marina Sq/Lido.. it was so simple. Fast-forward to 2005, when we were both single and hurt from our relationships. There was no denying the spark that was still there and we started dating again, 10 yrs after we last dated. His friends know me as “the one who broke his heart”/ “the true love of his life”… words that startled me because I never really knew that he still harboured feelings for me through the years. The relationship wasn’t plain-sailing – I was laden with excess baggage from my past relationship and my man stood by me. It took me nearly 2 yrs before I was able to rid the baggage and be in the relationship with a clear mind. He stood by me throughout, unwavering. 3.5yrs ago, he orchestrated the most amazing proposal for me. It was an underwater proposal and one that took me completely by surprise. We’d uploaded it on youtube but it was removed (cos we used soundtracks that are copyrighted) – let me know how I can share the link with you (via yousendit?); it really is the most romantic-est proposal and I’m not boasting! It’s been a fantastic ride since we got married 3 years ago and our daughter is now 19months old. I love my husband very much and he’s still pretty much the same sweetie as he was once upon a time. I think it’s fate that brought us together.

I kinda forgot about it after a while. I mean, it'd been 2weeks & I still haven't heard anything of it so I kinda let it slide.

Then one morning, last week, I got a call from the husband when I was at work.

"Babe, did you write in to Class 95? About us?”

“Ya. I wanted to win the short trip & you said ok remember? (obviously not) … why?”

“Our story was read out. My friend asked if my wife’s name is June…"

“OH! How does your friend know it’s your wife?”

“The underwater proposal la”

People who know us know of this amazing underwater proposal, so it’s probably us if you heard of this anywhere! When I logged into FB later that morning, I had two friends who posted on my wall that they had heard my love story!

Alas, instead of the holiday, the prize for last week was a bouquet of roses so while we didn’t get the holiday, we did get this bouquet of very lovely roses.

Sweethearts

SO. What do you do with this huge a bouquet? There was a family dinner planned for Mother's Day & I decided to split up the bouquet and share it with all the ladies (Moms & Moms-to-be)!

Working at the flower to spread the love around

1 comment:

  1. omg i love your love story n the pics for moms day!!! MISS U GIRL

    ReplyDelete