Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pasar malam

After missing Kate aplenty yesterday, I hurried home after work, gobbled my dinner and planned an outing with Kate. I knew the husband would be late at work so I had Kate all to myself.

We first took the car to the petrol kiosk to fill it up. Somehow, bringing her on a car-ride makes it more like a ‘trip’. After the petrol pitstop, we headed back home.

More and more of her (strong) character keeps seeping through every day. Yesterday, she bravely waved and said “bye bye” to me when I parked the car. She thought it terribly funny to remain in the car. And was not afraid at all. In fact, when I spied at her through the window, I saw her peeking cheekily at me! I take this as a good sign. My girl knows that she is loved and will never be abandoned. This should be good for her development & growth, as she is secure in her knowledge that she is loved & taken care of.

There’s a pasar malam going on in the hood and I took Kate on a walkabout there.

Enraptured by the "fishing pond". Love how grimey and ol' skool it looks!

Kate & her french braids. Watching the other kids play. Again, see how old the machines/game-stations are!

After doing the round at the game area (it was only like a 5-metre stretch), we headed to the food section where the usual suspects were being sold. Muah chee, kuehs, biscuits, etc. I rewarded Kate and I to sharing a red bean pancake. It wasn't that great - imagine a soggy & less crunchy waffle.

Kate and the red bean pancake

I got Kate to hold the pancake to pose for the picture. Mistake. Cos when I tried to take the pancake away from her, she refused! And cried!

Again, another sign of her being more grown-up and knowing in her ways. She knew that she very much preferred to hold the food on her own rather than me feeding bits to her. [O yes, on a side note, she has also been choosing her preferred foods and refusing some food. We cannot just stuff her face by our standards, anymore.]

After we were done with this snack, we walked through the food stalls and I offered to get Kate a steam-bun. The colourful ones? She refused. [See? Told you she has her preferences.] I was honestly quite surprised because I thought that she liked them.

In the end, we settled on buying some alphabet biscuits for her, some pineapple biscuits for the husband and chocolate ones for me. And enroute home, we made one final stop to get tutu kuehs. They were baaad. To anyone reading this who may be checking out the Teck Whye pasar malam, do.not.buy.the.tutu.kuehs.

I enjoyed my time out with Kate. I hope she did too.

1 comment: