Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why?

Why will anyone bring a child into this world if they didn't care about him?

I know there are plenty of scenarios that illustrate this in various forms but being a Mother (actually, you'll feel it even if you weren't a parent but the feelings are more intense with me being a parent) it saddens me to think about how the child(ren) are the ones suffering because of lousy decisions made outside of their control.

Today, I brought a group of kids on an excursion - they are neglected/abused kids who live in a Home. They are aged 18 and below and they are under the care of the Home, to protect them from abuse, neglect or other forms of unfavourable influence. Nothing is fair in this world and though it sucks to lead a lousy life, it sucks even more that these kids were given the short end of the lot, with nothing they could have done about it. I spoke to the caretaker from the Home and one thing she said really struck a chord, "they want a lot of attention."

Children are needy and attention-seeking by nature; imagine how it is like if their environment is not conducive and all they want is to seek approval from their parent(s) and unable to receive it simply because of lousy circumstances. They'll spend their lives doing attention-seeking antics to garner any form of attention and approval. Where will this sort of behavior lead them to years down the road? So it's no wonder that the kids' behaviour may be even more extreme compared to other children as that is their way of screaming "Look at me! Love me!"

I am thankful that I am not disadvantaged in any way, and in fact, given more than I've ever imagined. I have a beautiful family and though my mom was super strict in my younger years (& I deserved every bit of it, really), I grew up in a loving home. I feel sad thinking about these children and I just hope that they will be strong and toughen up in a positive way and lead their lives well.

It breaks my heart to see how these kids are like wilted flowers, unable to blossom and bloom because they weren't given the right care and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment