Monday, December 5, 2011

Building our home

The husband has been all the work for our new house. Two key reasons – 1/ I’m pregnant and there’s this saying that preggies should not be involved in renovations etc & 2/ I leave it entirely up to him anyway. His analogy is “you know how girls dream of their perfect wedding? Guys dream of their perfect home.”

Lucky for both of us, I’m more than happy to leave it up to him (pregnant or not). It’s not easy managing the budget, the contractors, the detailing, the process, the everything – and I must say I’m thankful that he’s doing it all! So far, I think the only thing I’ve done is

1/ contributed some thoughts to the selection of curtains

2/ wholly in-charge of selecting the curtains for the kids’ room

3/ tagged along to select/see carpets

4/ tried to help do some drawing of our feature wall (not used)

5/ went along to Ikea several times to see and purchase our dining table

6/ went along to a furniture shop to see and agree on a coffee table for our living room

7/ went along to another furniture shop to see and agree on our living room furniture

8/ went along to shop for lights and agreed on all the lights for our home

Uh, I think that’s pretty much it. Haha! As you can see, it’s more a consultative role that I play (that’s putting it nicely, I’m more like his listening board) & the truth is, anything that I’ve said has been vetoed anyway because he’ll come up with a reason to do it his way =_=

I like to think that we at least do not fight with our (possibly clashing) opinions and as they say, too many cooks spoil the broth, yes? And honestly I’m not detailed enough to go monitor the intricacies of the progress and the thought of ‘fighting’ with suppliers/contractors etc - *roars. Can’t deal with it – I do enough of this at work as is!

But yea, our home is coming along nicely and I think that we may actually really make it before Chinese New Year (that’s 6wks to go).

No comments:

Post a Comment